Sunday, November 11, 2012

Remembrance Day 2012 (Part I)



Like many Canadians, I have regularly attended Remembrance Day ceremonies. A few years ago I would march with fellow naval veterans in Vancouver, and before that attended with my mother at the Cloverdale ceremony. More recently I have gotten into the habit of going to the local ceremony in White Rock.
This year will mark a change. I have been asked to speak at the Surrey Museum at 12 pm, following the ceremony in Cloverdale. My topic will be “Soldier of the Horse”, focusing on horses in World War I and local connections to the Canadian cavalry in that terrible conflict.
When at a ceremony of remembrance I think about the sacrifices made by young Canadian men and women when serving their country, but also about those who continue to put their lives on the line for all of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment